Thursday, August 13, 2009

G. I. Joe - The Rise of Cobra






I was a collector of the original 12" inch GI Joe Action Figures when I was a kid. Naturally, I complained when the entire line was revamped in 1982 to 3 3/4" inch action figures. I loved the soldier theme of the original GI Joes and never really warmed up to the smaller 8 1/2" inch "Super Joe Adventure Team" theme that was slowly taking over in the late 70's, but the newer GI Joe "A Real American Hero" was just ridiculous to me (maybe I was just outgrowing my childhood).

But this latest GI Joe franchise, "G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra" (a Blockbuster summer movie release), is something all together different.


I generally hate summer blockbusters because these movies tend to be long on spectacle and special effects, but short on plot and substance. But this G.I. Joe movie delivers the goods.

Don't get me wrong, it is not a Darren Aronofsky film and was not meant to be one. But for a Comicbook/Action Figure inspired flick, it is better than average. The spectacle and the action sequences do not get in the way of the storytelling. The plot is simplistic, as to be expected, but the background sequences (flashbacks) on the main characters neatly tie-up the story, giving the characters quasi-plausible motives usually absent in movies of this genre. The stilted and often cliched dialogue and catch phrases can sometimes be irritating, but as a comicbook adaptation it is acceptable. The action sequences are surprisingly well executed and blends seemlessly with the technology and the Special Effects.

My favorite part, hands down, is the Paris chase sequence with their "Accelerator Suits."


All in all, I would highly recommend this movie to people who are simply looking for a great thrill ride, and of course to the legion of G.I. Joe fans out there. With "Star Trek," it is one of the better Blockbuster Movies that came out this Summer.

In my opinion, this movie is more exciting than "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen," and infinitely more viewable than "Terminator Salvation" or even the widely anticipated "Angels and Demons."

G. I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra is available in DVD at Amazon.com:

--Movie clips from www.youtube.com

No comments: